Should You Have a Grievance. . .
Emory-Adventist Hospital Grievance Policy - "When a patient/patient representative has expectations that have not been met or have voiced a complaint, it is encouraged that he/she communicate with the member of the healthcare team providing service and/or the manager/director for the dpartment/service as soon as possible. The department/service unit is expected to resolve the complaint whenever possible at the time the complaint is raised. If a patient/patient representative is uncomfortable expressing a complaint to the department/service unit, he/she may contact the patient advocate, the Nursing Supervisor and/or the Administrator-on-Call for immediate resolultion. If prompt resolution is not possible, the complaint then becomes a grievance, and is managed according to procedures designated by hospital policy."
- When a complaint becomes a grievance, the Grievance Coordinator will record information relevant to the situation;
- Research will be conducted by contacting staff involved in the situation or supervisory personnel, and all information will be carefully and accurately documented;
- The complainant will be contacted with a resolution within 7 days OR will be notified of circumstances causing delay
If You Have a Grievance You, your representatives and family members* have the right to express any concern, have your concern investigated and receive a response. You are encouraged to work with your direct caregiver to immediately resolve any issue that may arise. Emory-Adventist Hospital's process to investigate and resolve patient concerns specifies that:
- The presentation of a complaint will in no way compromise your access to care at Emory-Adventist Hospital;
- You, your representative, or family member* may voice complaints and recommend changes without being subject to coercion, discrimination, reprisal, or unreasonable interruption of care, treatment and services;
- The grievance process will provide prompt resolution of grievances related to care and services;
- You will be assured of complete confidentiality at all times;
- You may contact the Grievance Coordinator to file a grievance by calling 770-434-0710, Ext. 2282;
You have the right to file a grievance directly with:
Georgia Medical Care Foundation
57 Executive Park South, Suite 200
Atlanta, GA 30329-2224
Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations
One Renaissance Boulevard
Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois 60181
*Note: If concern raised by someone other than Patient or Patient Representative, Federal HIPAA privacy regulations require us to refrain from discussing any specifics about the patient's care that involve individually-identifiable health information unless the patient authorizes this verbally to the hospital representative or signs an authorization form.
Please keep in mind that it is our desire to create a comfortable and safe environment for our guests. A Patient Relations Coordinator is available to patients and guests, ensuring that all are treated with compassionate care and quality service. Feel free to request assistance from the Patient Relations Coordinator by notifying a nurse, contacting the hospital operator and requesting an overhead page.